Why is my AC leaking water all of a sudden? A water leak from your air conditioning system is not a good sign; it is best to get your ac repaired by a professional. In this blog, we have discussed 10 reasons why this happens.
Why Is Your AC Leaking Water?
There could be several reasons why your air conditioner is leaking water. Here are ten possible causes:
Clogged or blocked condensate drain line
The condensate drain line carries excess moisture from the AC – (air conditioner) to a drain inside the system entirely outside the house. If the drain line becomes clogged or blocked, water will back up and leak from the air conditioner.
If you do not get professional help for installation, it could cause water to leak from the unit.
Frozen evaporator coils
If the evaporator coils in your air conditioner freeze, this can be one reason for water to leak from the unit. Low refrigerant levels or a malfunctioning thermostat are major runners to cause this issue.
Malfunctioning or clogged air filter
Cleaning your AC unit is mandatory. A dirty or clogged air filter can cause the evaporator coils to freeze, leading to water leakage.
Loose or damaged parts
If any parts in your air conditioning system are loose or damaged, you can’t stop them from malfunctioning.
Leaky or damaged ducts
Make sure that the ductwork is not faulty; to make this happen, you must hire a professional and not rely on DIY tutorials for help.
Incorrectly sized unit
It is one of the important factors; you must accurately calculate the room size, plus the kind of AC unit it will need. If your AC is too large for the space, it will turn on and off frequently, leading to a water leak.
Failing to maintain the air conditioner properly leads to improper functioning and hence causes trouble. Neglecting periodic cleaning or replacement of the air filter (if it needs one) and failing to have the unit serviced regularly will cause a leak.
Age of the unit
The units work fine but start deteriorating after some time; they become less efficient and more prone to issues like that in question.
Extreme weather conditions
Extreme weather conditions, such as heavy rain or strong winds, can cause water to leak from the air conditioner.
5 Signs Showing Your AC Is Leaking Water From Within
Here are several common symptoms that indicate your air conditioner is leaking water:
- Water puddles or wet spots around the air conditioner: Are there noticeable water puddles or wet spots easily seen on the floor around your air conditioner? This could be a sign that your unit above is leaking water.
- Increased humidity: If your AC unit spurts water, the air in your home becomes more humid than it should be.
- Water dripping from the indoor unit is a clear-cut sign of leakage.
- Water stains on the ceiling or walls: water dripping from the unit leaves behind trails on the ceiling or walls, noticeable enough to tell that something is wrong.
- Decreased cooling performance: Sudden deterioration in your AC’s performance (cooling ability) could indicate that the unit is leaking water and not functioning properly.
If you see any of these signs mentioned above, check your air conditioner. Does your AC need replacement or a repair? Let the experts decide. If you live in Texas, call professionals from Air Quality Experts for help. Dial (346) 803-2982 to connect with us.